Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12641) Move /score into player dialog

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12641) Move /score into player dialog
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:37:56 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> This patch moves the /score info into the player dialog. You can see the
> score of any player you are in contact with.
>
> This cuts through all the arguments/difficulties associated with /score.
>
> It may not immediately be to everyone's liking, but it has the virtue of
> simplicity and user-friendliness, and I challenge anyone to come up with
> something better.
>
> What is /score used for? Mostly for ending games, I think. Players look at
> a much higher score in another player and decide the game cannot be won
> any longer.
>
> (For the longest time while playtesting this, I thought something had to
> be wrong. I always had such a larger score than the AI. Then I realized, I
> really am better than the AI.)

My idea for score was that the full civ_score info should be tracked for
all turns and all sent to the client.  The client can then use it to
make pretty pictures (graphs, like other civ games have and like
pubserver generates).  There are some problems with this idea of course.

Your patch moves in this direction.  I approve.

-jason