Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12642) Voting considered harmful

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12642) Voting considered harmful
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 08:07:08 -0800

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:31:30AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> Still not satisfied with the voting code, I took a step back and decided
> to try something else instead.
>
> Why?
> 1) Voting is not user-friendly. This may change with GUI support, but this
> does not seem to be coming, nor is this easy to add.
> 2) Voting is relatively complicated.
>
> Here is an alternative:
>  - We remove voting altogether.

>  - All players must press 'Start' (or /start) to start the game. A message
>    indicates who has pressed (or this is shown in a new start game GUI).

That is fine, with that the starting problematic is resolved too.

>  - First player to join becomes 'game host'; if the 'game host' player
>    leaves the game, the game is restarted; only the 'game host' may
>    change settings, and only during pregame.

I don't like this, for pubserver games it isn't really userfriendly when
a game restarts when on 1 player is reconnecting (24h disconnect, other
problems)

>  - If there is only one human player, or _all_ players do /cheat on a
>    connection; this connection gets extra privileges; this gives a way to
>    add a referee, or change settings problems, for instance.

Referees are usually observers ...

>  - cmdlevel is removed entirely; hack commands are available only to
>    'game host' and 'cheater' that are trusted (same reqs as now)

>  - Doing /endgame during the game removes you from the game; using
>    "set endyear" is deprecated and left for single player games.

How does a game with 1 human and rest ai's end? A game with 2 humans in
a duel which is decided (+2 ais)

>  - You can always /ai yourself. This is however irrevocable without
>    getting a referee into the game as described above. If you only want
>    to leave for a while, use /away, which does not allow using
>    the AI for cheating.

ok

>  - /score is removed - see other patch.

ok

Changing timeout can be only done by the cheating player? (timeout is
the most used command (before /dead) on pubserver)

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.