Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12642) Voting considered harmful

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12642) Voting considered harmful
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 22:05:48 -0800

> [per - Fri Mar 25 22:38:34 2005]:
>
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Jason Short wrote:
> > You have three command levels: HACK, CTRL, and INFO.
> >
> > HACK is granted to trusted users.It supercedes the other two.
> >
> > CTRL is granted to the game host.There should be a way for those with
> > INFO access to change the host.There may even be more than one host.
> >
> > INFO is granted to all others. These are the cheaters.
>
> This is wrong. The "game host" (CTRL) may also cheat.

Of course, the game host may cheat.

My point is that what you're proposing is removing the three-level
cmdlevel system (info, ctrl, hack) and replacing it with a three-level
new system (basic, cheat, trusted).  The new system is identical to the
old except in how players change their level.  So it would be better to
work within the current system.

* Make cmdlevel ctrl first the default (on pubserver anyway).
* Anyone with cmdlevel access is dropped to info when the game starts.
* A new info-level command is added that allows a player to have their
access elevated to ctrl (e.g., through a vote of X% of players).

* The method for starting is changed (this is unrelated to the others).
 All players must /start before the game starts, regardless of access level.

-jason