Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3565) Patch: rage agianst end of turn moves

Cc: jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3565) Patch: rage agianst end of turn moves
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:13:43 -0800

On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:43:02PM -0800, Reinier Post wrote:

> > [jdorje - Thu Mar 03 03:50:36 2005]:
> >
> > ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > i've reduced the patch, that only the timeout is changed.
> > > Can be applied to pubserver without changing the clients.
> > >
> > > Better patch only possible with manipulating turn-done-button.
> > > But that would need a new capability.
> >
> > There are several bugs.
>
> [...]
>
> > * Multiple consecutive increases didn't work.  Turns out this was
> > because the game_info packet has is-info set.  This means the second
> > packet that sent the exact same values (the same seconds_to_turndone,
> > even though 20 seconds passed in between) would be discarded.  This is
> > obviously a bug (should probably be fixed in 2.0 as well).
>
> If any movement can cause a delay of end of turn
> it can be extended pretty far, if you have enough units near enemy
> territory.  Plus it makes defending easier, and thereby, it makes
> smallpoxing easy.  Has this patch been playtested in real games?

Yes it makes defending easier. But that helps players who aren't doing
ICS too. Because they have enough time to defend there valuable cities
too. Losing 2 of 50 cities doesn't hurt as much as losing 1 of 10.

Think the risk in abusing that isn't too high. (Especially in version 2
when we have playerdependend timeout. Then you can only expand the time
of your enemies)

I think the abuse of end of turn moves is bigger.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.