Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3565) Patch: rage agianst end of turn moves

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3565) Patch: rage agianst end of turn moves
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 13:59:17 -0800

Reinier Post wrote:

>>* Multiple consecutive increases didn't work.  Turns out this was
>>because the game_info packet has is-info set.  This means the second
>>packet that sent the exact same values (the same seconds_to_turndone,
>>even though 20 seconds passed in between) would be discarded.  This is
>>obviously a bug (should probably be fixed in 2.0 as well).
>

> I doubt this is a bug.  If any movement can cause a delay of end of turn
> it can be extended pretty far, if you have enough units near enemy
> territory.  Plus it makes defending easier, and thereby, it makes
> smallpoxing easy.  Has this patch been playtested in real games?

It's certainly a bug inasmuch as the timeout is increased at the server,
it just isn't correctly reflected by the client.

However there are problems with the behavior that you can extend the
timeout limit proportionally to the amount of units you have, if you
micromanage them properly.  Pille and I discussed this and our solution
is that each player should have a separate timeout, so only the
"victim's" timeout is increased by the action.

AFAIK the idea has never been playtested.  This is just one of Pille's
ideas based on problems in pubserver games.  It will probably need
tweaking later on.

-jason