Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12057) Some new wonder graphics

To: paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12057) Some new wonder graphics
From: "Marcel Edward Verhagen" <marcel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:36:08 -0800

Op dinsdag 1 februari 2005 19:39, schreef Christian Knoke:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 03:00:12PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
> >
> > 1.  These should be integrated into a new buildigns.png.
>
> I think it was a great idea to collect images with higher resolution for
> buildings. I assume you are already doing this via svg format? These could
> serve for integration in future versions that allow this and for
> *documentation*.
>
> > 2.  I'm concerned that using images for the graphics may not be
> > localizable.  Everyone knows what a Dam is but Bach and Newton are
> > pretty Euro-centric.  Translators can change the name but they have no
> > control over the image.  (This is a bigger problem with the current
> > cure-for-cancer that used the zodiac symbol.)

I think there should be a popup when the wonders are build. Not only with the
helptext, but with video's, audio and graphics. This should give the player
and idea of what the wonder is. And what it does. The use of text should be
minimized. (a good picture or video says more that a thousend words !)

> hehe, I knew what a dam is, but not what the Hoover Dam is, before I
> learned in Freeciv :)
>
> I don't think that translators are supposed to change the wonder identity.

They can change the name in /data/buildings.ruleset, for example by changing:
name = _("Hoover Dam")
name = _("Beaver Dam")

will make the Beaver dam to appear in stead of the hoover dam.

The hoover dam comes back in the [group_jannitors]. in the same file.
If i am coorect then this tag should be left alnona. It is definitely an
indentificier, and is made up from the [building_Hoover_Dam] tag.
What means that it should not be translated or so.

The name tag is also used in the /nations/.ruleset dir.
I wonder if freeciv is actually using the wonder tag from the nations
rulesets.