Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12057) Some new wonder graphics

To: paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12057) Some new wonder graphics
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 10:39:33 -0800

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 03:00:12PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> 1.  These should be integrated into a new buildigns.png.

I think it was a great idea to collect images with higher resolution for
buildings. I assume you are already doing this via svg format? These could
serve for integration in future versions that allow this and for
*documentation*.

> 2.  I'm concerned that using images for the graphics may not be
> localizable.  Everyone knows what a Dam is but Bach and Newton are
> pretty Euro-centric.  Translators can change the name but they have no
> control over the image.  (This is a bigger problem with the current
> cure-for-cancer that used the zodiac symbol.)

hehe, I knew what a dam is, but not what the Hoover Dam is, before I learned
in Freeciv :)

I don't think that translators are supposed to change the wonder identity.

I agree that images of historic persons are suboptimal for the purpose, but
when the quality is an improvement it is good. It is always difficult to
find good symbolic graphics (esp. for cancer).

Christian