Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12009) Beta7 Bugs on WinXP

To: s1kevin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12009) Beta7 Bugs on WinXP
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:56:29 -0800

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005, Kevin Benton wrote:

> >What's that supposed to do? I don't remember any 3-key combos in Freeciv.
>
> Connect with Irrrigation.  Ctrl-Shift-R is connect road, and Ctrl-Shift-L is
> connect rail.

Blech. My sincere apologies. I guess we need to figure out some way of
making those use less keys. Are there any more?

> >While I agree that being able to redefine keys is useful, I think it only
> >masks another bigger problem. If the default keybindings suck, they should
> >be improved.
>
> While I agree that the default keybindings suck for certain things, I think
> that having a redefinable keyboard will remove the restrictions currently
> placed on users.  If I want to move to Alt-keys for example, I can't do that

You *can't* move to Alt-keys. Alt-keys are used to activate menus and
buttons and stuff. They are hence all used already. Using them is asking
for trouble once some extra widget is added.

> at this point.  If I want to use F-Keys, I can't do that either.  By having

All the plain F-keys are used, and CTRL+F-keys are used by the window
manager. As is ALT+Tab and some others.

> mappable keys, I can rearrange the keyboard to work well for me without
> impacting anyone else.

Wouldn't you like to know that Freeciv comes with decent keybindings that
will work nicely no matter which computer you are playing in? I used to be
a configurability freak too, back when I used FVWM. Guess what, I got
tired of constantly having to update my settings file, or porting it to
fit the new model, every time FVWM got upgraded and fixed some more bug.

Having a good configuration out of the box is golden, especially for a
game.

---