Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12009) Beta7 Bugs on WinXP

To: s1kevin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12009) Beta7 Bugs on WinXP
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:13:38 -0800

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005, Kevin Benton wrote:

> Unfortunately, that's just not true.  I had always been able to use my arrow
> keys in Civ, Civ2, Civ3, and FC all the way up till FC2B7.  On my laptop, it

They were hijacked recently to move the map instead, and then hijacked
again to enable easier widget navigation. The tabs patch added a lot of
things to the main window that used to be separate windows, so easy
widget navigation in the main window is now much more important that in
the past.

Try using left mouse-drag and goto instead of moving units with the keys.
Alternatively, if you can come up with a better keymap, we could change
the current keymap to that.

> just makes it very difficult to play if I have to mentally re-map keys in my
> mind.  I would much rather have control of what keys do so I can reassign
> them to my own preferences.  Control-Shift-I is a perfect example - for me -

What's that supposed to do? I don't remember any 3-key combos in Freeciv.

> it's a terrible stretch of my hand to use the left hand on all three keys
> while keeping my other on the mouse.  I'd rather be able to assign functions
> like those to F-Keys.

While I agree that being able to redefine keys is useful, I think it only
masks another bigger problem. If the default keybindings suck, they should
be improved.

---