Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10830) Trirem doesn't want to move

To: Francois-Xavier.Coudert@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10830) Trirem doesn't want to move
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 02:54:58 -0800

On Tue, Nov 02, 2004 at 06:09:48PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:
> Christian Knoke wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 01, 2004 at 12:42:12PM -0800, François-Xavier Coudert wrote:
> >
> >>Using 2.0.0-beta2 (win32 server and macos gtk home-built client), I built
> >>triremes and can move them around my island, but they don't want to go on
> >>see "didn't find route to destination", even if I only ask them to cross
> >>see to go to a place I see (for example, the pole). So I cannot get out
> >>of the island I'm on (alone, that is), and that's so annoying I'm not
> >>going to play this game on to see if other sea units are affected.
> >>
> >>Is this a bug? Can anyone confirm this behavior?
> >
> > If you use the Goto command (either with the mouse or with key 'g') the
> > trireme would not cross oceans (in most cases) because it is unsure. That
> > means it can sink (see help for that).
> >
> > It should be always possible to move the trireme anywhere you like with the
> > cursor keys, though.
>
> It should be (but currently is not) possible to use goto to move units
> into "dangerous" tiles.

Can or cannot be. But if you do, when pointing a trireme to the unknown, you
will have to decide, *how* unsecure the way to be taken will be. Will the
trireme move the straight way to the target, which will make it unlikely
that it reaches it at all? Or will it hold at the coast for as long as
possible (like it currently does for secure targets), which will give very
odd routes in some cases.

Maybe an 'unsecure' option for the goto? Holding the shift key while pointing
to the target will turn the arrow color to red and let the client goto
choose the direkt way.

Christian