Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10722) Excess amount of unfavorable terrain generated

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10722) Excess amount of unfavorable terrain generated by current mapgen code
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:50:16 -0700

> [mburda - Tue Oct 26 04:26:30 2004]:
>
> thx for the positive things! ;-)

You are very welcome.  :-)

> plz see maps generated by 10201 patch, with a low steepnes, there the
> terrains as dessert are best placed and are more funs for gameplay
> with not change on %, if i change math for parameters this has to be
> based on maps generate with this patch even if not included on 2.0

I tried the patch and indeed the percentages are still the same.  A
steepness of 5-10 gives reasonable amount of hills and mountains, but
grasslands and plains remain at around 10% each, and that's simply too
low.  I would like to see it increased to 25% each as the default.

As I said before, the map is very pretty and quite realistic, but
there's simply not enough grasslands and plains.  This makes it even
harder to grow your cities, and thus makes the smallpox problem even
worse than it already is.  So I suggest an additional parameter be added
(fertility maybe?) so that players at least have the option to increase
the amount of favorable terrain.

Mike Jing