Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10722) Excess amount of unfavorable terrain generated

To: miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10722) Excess amount of unfavorable terrain generated by current mapgen code
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:26:33 -0700

> [jing - Lun. Oct. 25 21:01:38 2004]:
>
> > [mburda - Mon Oct 25 15:01:17 2004]:
> >
> > this % was based in old default value, these old code was broken
and %
> > bad used by it, now we can tune the maps to do wath we want.
> > The devellopement of code is soped by v2.0 in middle of a change
and y
> > has not tune it i need positive comment to tune it good.
>
> Understood.
>
> > You want less dessert and less tundra i think! i will get some
time tu
> > do minor fixes and eventually some alternate math, i need a lot of
> > comment about what you want has a good map.
>
> Basically there has to be a way to increase the amount of favorable
> terrain types, i.e. grassland and plains.  Maybe another parameter
> should be added so that you can adjust the percentage of fertile
terrain
> in the map.  This is useful and could be easily generalized.
>
> > But be positive this maps is more difficult maybe but is the some
for
> > all players and is good scatereed then it is not brokend.
> > in other point this go to a generalized terrains system, a lot of
tune
> > go in the terrains-ruleset but it is not ready (very close) then
> > expend a lot of time on hard code tune for this rulesset is not a
very
> > good idea, be positive and do good comment to get someting ok for
2.0,
> > then for 2.1 we can do a full ruleset tunable system and we can do
> > really a good thing.
>
> Sorry if I came out as being too negative.  Actually I think you did
> very good job -- the map looks pretty and much more realistic.
However,
> the change in the percentages is too drastic for gameplay.  It
should
> not be too difficult to fix though.
>
> Keep up the good work.
>
> Mike Jing

thx for the positive things! ;-)

plz see maps generated by 10201 patch, with a low steepnes, there the
terrains as dessert are best placed and are more funs for gameplay
with not change on %, if i change math for parameters this has to be
based on maps generate with this patch even if not included on 2.0