Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10722) Excess amount of unfavorable terrain generated

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10722) Excess amount of unfavorable terrain generated by current mapgen code
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:01:39 -0700

> [mburda - Mon Oct 25 15:01:17 2004]:
>
> this % was based in old default value, these old code was broken and %
> bad used by it, now we can tune the maps to do wath we want.
> The devellopement of code is soped by v2.0 in middle of a change and y
> has not tune it i need positive comment to tune it good.

Understood.

> You want less dessert and less tundra i think! i will get some time tu
> do minor fixes and eventually some alternate math, i need a lot of
> comment about what you want has a good map.

Basically there has to be a way to increase the amount of favorable
terrain types, i.e. grassland and plains.  Maybe another parameter
should be added so that you can adjust the percentage of fertile terrain
in the map.  This is useful and could be easily generalized.

> But be positive this maps is more difficult maybe but is the some for
> all players and is good scatereed then it is not brokend.
> in other point this go to a generalized terrains system, a lot of tune
> go in the terrains-ruleset but it is not ready (very close) then
> expend a lot of time on hard code tune for this rulesset is not a very
> good idea, be positive and do good comment to get someting ok for 2.0,
> then for 2.1 we can do a full ruleset tunable system and we can do
> really a good thing.

Sorry if I came out as being too negative.  Actually I think you did a
very good job -- the map looks pretty and much more realistic.  However,
the change in the percentages is too drastic for gameplay.  It should
not be too difficult to fix though.

Keep up the good work.

Mike Jing