Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10722) Excess amount of unfavorable terrain generated

To: miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10722) Excess amount of unfavorable terrain generated by current mapgen code
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 08:01:19 -0700

> [jing - Lun. Oct. 25 11:40:25 2004]:
>
> The new mapgen code is generating a lot more "unfavorable" terrain
> compared
> to earlier versions, as can be seen in the following table of the
> amount of
> each terrain type as a percentage of total landmass (all using
default
> parameters):
>
> Terrain Type              1.14.2                CVS Oct. 24, 2004
>
> Grassland                  ~33%                      ~10%
> Plains                             ~33%                      ~10%
> Forest                             ~ 6%                      ~24%
> Hills                      ~ 6%                      ~15%
> Mountains                  ~ 2%                      ~ 9%
> Desert                             ~ 2%                      ~ 7%
> Jungle                             ~ 1%                      ~ 4%
> Swamp                      ~ 1%                      ~ 4%
> Tundra                             ~ 3%                      ~ 3%
> Arctic                             ~14%                      ~15%
>

> Most striking is the decrease of the amount of Grassland/Plains,
from
> around
> 2/3 down to only 1/5.  In contrast, all other terrain types, except
> Arctic
> and Tundra, increased by a factor of about 4.  This makes choosing a
> proper
> city site extremely difficult and simply upsets the game way too
much.
> make matters worse, this cannot be fully remedied by adjusting the
> mapgen
> parameters, which were reduced to only three: temperature,
steepness,
> and
> wetness.  A steepness of 0 to 5 makes the amount of hills and
> mountains more
> or less acceptable, but the total amount of Desert, Jungle, and
Swamp
> combined is basically invariant with respect to changes in wetness.
> Lowering the temperature produces more Arctic and Tundra, but does
not
> reduce the amount of Desert and Swamp far enough.  In short, the
> current
> mapgen code is broken and has to be fixed before 2.0 can be
released.

> Mike Jing

this % was based in old default value, these old code was broken and %
bad used by it, now we can tune the maps to do wath we want.
The devellopement of code is soped by v2.0 in middle of a change and y
has not tune it i need positive comment to tune it good.

You want less dessert and less tundra i think! i will get some time tu
do minor fixes and eventually some alternate math, i need a lot of
comment about what you want has a good map.

But be positive this maps is more difficult maybe but is the some for
all players and is good scatereed then it is not brokend.
in other point this go to a generalized terrains system, a lot of tune
go in the terrains-ruleset but it is not ready (very close) then
expend a lot of time on hard code tune for this rulesset is not a very
good idea, be positive and do good comment to get someting ok for 2.0,
then for 2.1 we can do a full ruleset tunable system and we can do
really a good thing.

Marcelo