Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10659)

To: rp@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10659)
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:16:33 -0700

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Reinier Post wrote:
> > Now that PR#10578 (add the isophex tileset) has been resolved,
> > let me say that in the last two years I have only played with
> > extra small tilesets, usually tinydent.
> >
> > Can tinydent be added to the distribution as well?
> > The main point of this is to see that it remains up to date
> > so my client doesn't crash on /start.  Standard maintenance would
> > just make sure that it doesn't crash - using fallbacks I suppose -
> > while designing extra tiles would be the work of volunteers.
>
> Scaling/zooming out the tileset during the game is something that would be
> benefitial to all tilesets.

Indeed. We have had numerous requests on this. Both for smaller tiles, to
see more of the map, and for larger tiles, to see the tiles better on
larger screen resolutions.

> This was implemented in Teamciv, but never added to CVS.
>
> http://www-c.informatik.uni-hannover.de/~kif/civ/teamciv.html
>
> So it seems like more people would like this functionality...

The reason it wasn't commited was because IIRC it worked by having multiple
sized copies of each tile. The generation of these copies was very slow
and used lots of memory, since everything was duplicated several
times. Using something like OpenGL would allow us to have zoom essentially
for free at reasonable speeds.

---