Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9064) Re: Patch: Expulsion of enemy units from ter

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9064) Re: Patch: Expulsion of enemy units from territory
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:32:21 -0700

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Mike Kaufman wrote:
> > That should read 'turn done' button. This to avoid the 'worst case two
> > turns to expel' case. As for timeout, I no longer care. If you want to do
> > diplomacy, turn off the timeout. We should put this in the README or
> > something ("Diplomacy will not work properly with timeout set.").
>
> This sucks. Especially on pubserver where we demand that timeout > 40.
> Timeout should remain inviolate. Nothing a player does should alter
> timeout midturn. This just leads to badness. Demanding that you have to
> have timeout=0 to have diplomacy makes the game suck. Something stinks.

You are trying to reconcile two demands that can't easily be reconciled.
This is most easily seen in the 'end of turn moves' problem. There is no
way to solve this without touching the end turn button and the timeout, at
least not that I know of. Also voting and ultimatums must go over two
turns because of such issues, one turn longer than intuitively expected.
We already had complaints about this for votes.

There is one way to deal with ultimatums and voting, that Jason suggested:
To add a separate timeout to each such issue. This requires some client
changes. I'm not up to doing that for all clients. I am not even sure what
such an UI would look like.

  - Per