Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9803) PATCH rm map.grasssize parameter

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9803) PATCH rm map.grasssize parameter
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 08:51:10 -0700

Le mer 25/08/2004 à 10:08, Jason Short a écrit :

> Mateusz Stefek wrote:
> >
> >>[mburda - Wed Aug 25 06:51:13 2004]:
> >>
> >>Not used and useless parameter deleted
> >>
> >>Marcelo
> >>

> >    int polar = 5; /* FIXME: convert to a server option */
> >
> > -  total = map.mountains + map.deserts + map.forestsize + map.swampsize
> > -    + map.grasssize;
> > +  total = map.mountains + map.deserts + map.forestsize + map.swampsize;
> >
> > Are you sure that it doesn't change the behavior ?
> > Maybe map.grassize really means "the rest".
>
> That's exactly what it means.  The values are intended to be percentages
> so they can only be changed one at a time.  Thus they're really only
> ratios that have value by comparison to each other.  Grassland could be
> scaled just like the others but it's safer to just subtract to avoid
> off-by-one errors.  This code was written by Karen - try cvs annotate to
> get more info about this.
>
> The patch changes this so that they really are percentages.  Now
> grassland is just "the rest".  (That's why the != check is changed to a
>  > check: if it's < (which it should be) then no adjustment is needed
> and grassland really is "the rest".)  Is this better?  I don't think so.
>   For one thing is it's hard to tell that the percentages go together in
> this way.  Of course this should be documented better in the server
> option help (I'd consider the lack of documentation here a serious
> oversight).
>
> Perhaps the biggest problem with the patch though is that it makes it
> very easy to end up with no grassland at all.  In the current server
> this is impossible since the minimum "grass" value is 20.
>
> Eventually I'd like to get rid of all these values, replacing them with
> moisture/temperature/slope variables.  But I don't think this patch
> really helps that.
>
> jason

If you like i change all at one time, but you not like it, this code is
thinked to do has temporally as percenets, evidentrly some one can set a
map with 0% (plains-grass-tundra), but for the default option this is
ok, and this is the minimum whanted. but i can hardcode a 20% minimum
for others and doc it(if you like my english), but doc it will be wast
thime has next patch go so fast i you can comitte its
my next step will be change mountains to relief (initially a persent of
total landmass)

Then unify deserts and swamp in wetness.(latter wetness will get a real
wmap)

finally forest can be rename has moisture.

About temperature, i think do it a littles  differents.

But actualls parameters are not viable if terrains are load from ruleset
you can put this patch in Closed and i will be put one where all change
are done in one step, (not temperature)

Marcelo