Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9803) PATCH rm map.grasssize parameter

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9803) PATCH rm map.grasssize parameter
From: "Mateusz Stefek" <mstefek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:28:02 -0700

> [jdorje - Wed Aug 25 08:08:04 2004]:
>
> Mateusz Stefek wrote:
> >
> >>[mburda - Wed Aug 25 06:51:13 2004]:
> >>
> >>Not used and useless parameter deleted
> >>
> >>Marcelo
> >>

> >    int polar = 5; /* FIXME: convert to a server option */
> >
> > -  total = map.mountains + map.deserts + map.forestsize + map.swampsize
> > -    + map.grasssize;
> > +  total = map.mountains + map.deserts + map.forestsize + map.swampsize;
> >
> > Are you sure that it doesn't change the behavior ?
> > Maybe map.grassize really means "the rest".
>
> That's exactly what it means.  The values are intended to be percentages
> so they can only be changed one at a time.  Thus they're really only
> ratios that have value by comparison to each other.  Grassland could be
> scaled just like the others but it's safer to just subtract to avoid
> off-by-one errors.  This code was written by Karen - try cvs annotate to

I think that these values should always be percentages or always
relative amounts.
In this patch there's no difference beetwen:

mountains = 20 deserts = 20 forestsize = 20 swampsize = 20 grass = 20
and
mountains = 20 deserts = 20 forestsize = 20 swampsize = 20 grass = 80

this is unnatural
--
mateusz