Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2327) GUI problem with choosing government

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2327) GUI problem with choosing government
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:53:19 -0700

Per and I discussed this on IRC and came to the following conclusions (I
think).

1.  It's more important to cater to newbies than to a rare problem for
multiplayer users here.  The target government should be chosen at the
time the revolution starts and the revolution popup removed entirely.

2.  It is fine for the government to be changeable again in the turn
when the revolution ends.  Say I choose a revolution to Republic.  At
the beginning of the turn when the revolution ends I enter republic.
But Republic has no effects until turn end (when city production, etc.,
is done).  So if I choose Monarchy during this turn I go straight into
monarchy.

The second one is provided by the patch I sent.  The first one is a
little harder since we need GUI support for the government menu.  This
means editing the win32 and xaw clients.  Then another patch will cut
out a whole bunch of ugly government-changing code and replace it with a
single packet_select_government packet and a new
pplayer->target_government field.

Per, how does this sound?

I can make the gui-xaw change but we'll need the win32 maintainers to
fix gui-win32.

jason