Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2327) GUI problem with choosing government

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2327) GUI problem with choosing government
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:36:42 -0700

Jason Short wrote:

> The second one is provided by the patch I sent.  The first one is a
> little harder since we need GUI support for the government menu.  This
> means editing the win32 and xaw clients.  Then another patch will cut
> out a whole bunch of ugly government-changing code and replace it with a
> single packet_select_government packet and a new
> pplayer->target_government field.

The current state is that the government may be freely changed on the
turn when the revolution completes.

Todo:

- Get government-menu support into gui-win32 (patch is written, waiting
for the win32 people to commit it).

- Move the target government into the server (and savegame).

My proposal:

   pplayer->target_government holds the target government; this has
   meaning only when the player's in revolution

   If the target government is anarchy then the revolution continues
   until the player chooses a new government (this shouldn't happen
   normally, but will happen when loading old savegames).

   If the target government is not anarchy then when the revolution
   ends the target government is automatically entered

   Target government is saved in the savegame.

   When involuntary revolutions happen (democracy collapses) the
   target government is either anarchy or the same as the old
   government (not sure which).

   Only one packet exists: packet_set_government.  The target
   government may be set at any time.  This may instigate a
   revolution.  Clients may want to have a confirmation dialog [1].

   All the ugly packhand government-setting code is removed.

- Remove the government popup dialog.

   The popup is just removed (from all clients).

   When the revolution ends the player is notified in the messages
   dialog.

   If they haven't set their government already they may do so
   through the government menu.

It looks to me like the latter two steps are independent.  Each will
allow getting rid of some code and will make the behavior better.

[1]  It seems to me that a revolution shouldn't be permanent until the
end of the turn either.  So if you choose revolution you may switch back
to your old government safely until your turn ends.

jason