Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#436) Bug: game state not totally preserved in save

To: caz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#436) Bug: game state not totally preserved in savegames
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:46:12 -0700

Marko Lindqvist wrote:

> Jason Short wrote:
>
>>  In this case simply inserting
>>the units randomly will not fix this because it will be different after
>>the reload.
>

>   True, but there is two separate bugs, requiring separate fixes. One is
> that save+load changes list order (this ticket). Another is that list is
> in a 'well defined' order even without saving+loading. get_defender() is
> obvious problem case, but there might be other places where iteration
> order matters.

Yep.  If we use the "priority" method we have to hunt down such cases.
Tedious and bug-prone.  But I'm not convinced any other method is
possible to solve all the bugs and buglets.

And don't forget the third buglet, that server and client can
potentially give different values even if the order is well-defined.

jason