Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Missiles, submarines and AEGIS cruiser

Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Missiles, submarines and AEGIS cruiser
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:19:57 -0400

Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Christian Knoke wrote:

AI missile is in the air above the ocean, and a submarine nearby. My AEGIS
cruiser is on Goto to attack submarine.

1. No way to attack cruise missile?
2. On turn done, AI moves missile onto submarine, so the cruiser goto isn't
executed. Shouldn't missile be lost at this point due to missing fuel?
3. Probably same missile attacks land unit in this turn (not sure here),
submarine attacks cruiser...

Any bugs in here? Or just bad luck?

Just bad luck, I think. You cannot attack air units with sea units. All
air units return to nearest city on turn end, if they can. AI should not
attack an AEGIS cruiser with an air unit (unless I am mistaken here, AEGIS
gets an insane bonus against missiles too).

It's a bug that this situation could exist at all. Cruise missiles only have 1 fuel so this one should have crashed by now. This happens at end-of-turn (I think). So the AI must have moved the missile or sub at the beginning of the turn, then again at the end. This violates the alternate-movement-for-AI paradigm.

Also when the missile moves onto the submarine I think it should be automatically loaded, unless the sub is already full.

jason