Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9433) Patch: MSVC compile fixes

To: resqu@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#9433) Patch: MSVC compile fixes
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 07:38:09 -0700

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, res wrote:

> On 20.07.2004 15:56, Per Inge Mathisen wrote:
> >>Especially when there are lots of working alternatives for the platform.
> >>GCC 3.4 which is free, Intel C++ v8.0 which is the best performing compiler.
> >

> > I'm inclined to agree. It is possible to plug the Intel compiler into
> > Visual Studio? If so, we should put this tip in a doc somewhere.
>
> AFAIK yes, but note that Intel C++ for Win32 isn't free. So MSVC users
> don't automatically have it, too.

MSVC isn't free either. If you are so concerned about price, why are you
using MSVC in the first place? Because you have access for it already? But
others may not have access you know?

If it is free you want, use GCC. There is no shortage of options. This is
only a developer issue anyway, users could care less which compiler is
used.

> Btw, it's interesting to say "VC is broken" when it doesn't support C99
> when it's clearly stated that VC does not support C99.

We don't support K&R C compilers either. C99 makes several things easier
to do and I for one am not interested in going back.

---