Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8890) Patch: Removal of free city center

To: use_less@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8890) Patch: Removal of free city center
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:44:56 -0700

> [ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Mon Jul 19 11:04:35 2004]:
>
> It doesn't do anything againt ICS build as many cities as you can and
> you have von, when you have more than half of the possible spots on the
> world.

You are right.  I think the majority opinion is that ICS and smallpox
should not be eliminated altogether, so this is _part_ of an effort to
balance smallpox and vertical development.  All I am trying to do here
is to make smallpox less powerful.  And if ICS is not taken out, at
least it should be slowed down.

> It only slows down devellopment. And because I didn't look at the
> solution I don't knwow if the start position is more importent or not.

First of all, I think the standard ICS+smallpox development is way too
fast, so slowing it down a bit is a Good Thing.  As for starting
positions, grassland and food specials are preferred, and it's a good
idea to irrigate the grassland first.  I think the generator already
prefers grassland, and the worker unit makes irrigation much easier than
before, so it is not nearly as slow as you might have imagined.  All you
have to do is to make more rivers, which I think is only natural anyway.

Please do keep in mind this patch doesn't yet solve the problem, and I
know that.  However, I do think it will help to create a more balanced
game where smallpox doesn't dominate so completely.  And I am looking
into other additional changes to achieve this goal.  So please test and
comment on gameplay and any bugs you may find.

Mike Jing