Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: backward compatability of saved games

To: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: backward compatability of saved games
From: Per Inge Mathisen <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 19:09:08 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> We can safely break the compatibility now because it was already broken
> about a week ago by introducing a new unit into the ruleset.

That is not a good argument, since mateusz's patch makes it compatible
again.

I'm not for breaking compatibility. The last time we (I) did this,
compatibility was broken off at 1.9.0. Ideally, savegames newer than this
should work.

If we make a new savegame format, we should, IMHO, keep support for the
old in its own .c file. And we do need a new savegame format, because
replays and rulesets should be in there, and that does not fit well into
the existing format.

  - Per

PS I agree with Reinier (and Chris) now - we should eventually move over
to XML instead of our .ini format. Yes, I've been turned over to the dark
side...