Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: backward compatability of saved games

To: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: backward compatability of saved games
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:47:53 -0500

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 12:20:15PM -0400, Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> (changing the ruleset breaks savegame compatibility unless you're really
> careful, in part because the savegame depends unnecessarily on the order
> of elements in the ruleset).
>
> I'm not sure if I'm in favor of this idea.  It is really a way to
> simplify the code at the expense of the user.  However because the code
> is simpler it will be end up with faster, less buggy development, so the
> user will benefit as well.

the above point speaks to the need to fix this for the sake of the user,
not just the developer. I am for removing backward compatibility but with
one condition: There needs to be a tool that is available to convert old
incompatibly savegames to new compatible savegames. This will probably a
extremely cutdown server with a modified savegame.c. But this _has_ to be
done in order to justify it.

-mike