Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PowerPoint on the design of Civ IV

To: Baumans <baumans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PowerPoint on the design of Civ IV
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:13:32 +0100 (WET DST)

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Baumans wrote:

> Slashdot just pointed out a link to a powerpoint slideshow
> (http://www.gdconf.com/archives/2004/johnson_soren.zip) about franchises in
> general, and what Firaxis is doing with Civ IV.  Some interesting new
> features are:
> * modern interface/help conventions

That always helps. We could use some more links, but it is pretty decent
now.

> * continuous, immersive 3D world

Done wrong, this can hinder more than enhance gameplay. There is a reason
most 3D strategy games now use fixed perspectives, only moving the camera
for zoom or special action sequences which usually have no user
interaction. He seems to have noticed this, but the proof will be in the
pudding.

> * drop unfun legacy (polution, rioting, maintenance, corruption/waste)
> * new killer features (religion, civics), RPG elements (unit
> upgrades/experience)

RPG elements are hardly new. You already had veteran status (experience
upgrade) and hitpoints. If you look at Master of Magic then, there is
nothing new to add from RPGs to Civ like games. But yes, this can be a
source of nice features. We already have multiple levels for example.

Items are just too much work for the player, there is enough crap already.
However, player specific or nation specific unique units would be an
interesting addition.

You always need some sort of maintenance cost, at best you can simplify things
like the Blizzard or Age of Empires games. Corruption/waste are ok when
not done over the top. Like in Civ III. That was just insane.

Yeah pollution is annoying. Rioting is more or less ok. At least the
city is still yours, unlike stupid Civ III culture which makes you lose
a city without having easy means of getting it back. Sure, build a wonder.
That will only take several dozen turns. You cannot even expand elsewhere to
flee, because of the stupid corruption. Yes, I do not like Civ III. ;-)

I am unsure what he means about religion.

I agree that trade routes should be automated or even removed. They are a
waste of time.

> * coding from scratch (multiplayer, mod-friendly)
> They're also integrating Python for various things.
>
> Should we just skip Civ III compatability? :)

Regarding multiplayer, I have heard that song before. Civ II and Civ III
were supposed to have it out of the box on launch. The rest is neat, but
not actually necessary. Nah, I think we should just carry on and try to
improve our own game while keeping compatible game modes for nostalgia
value.

---