Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8998) Small map meets large screen, they have prob

To: vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8998) Small map meets large screen, they have problems together.
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:36:37 -0700

Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa wrote:

> Forwarding this from the forum:
> http://www.freeciv.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102
>
> "First of all, the screenshots.
> http://67.166.116.45/kyzentun/small_map_problem.png
> http://67.166.116.45/kyzentun/small_map_problem2.png

This is hard to fix.

The problem is two-fold:

- When the mapview is bigger than the map, only one tile is drawn.

- When scrolling the mapview, not all areas are redrawn.  Some are just
copied.

The end result is that a tile that is black in the corner can be
scrolled into the middle of the screen, even though it "should" now be
drawn.  There aren't too many ways around this:

1.  Remove this copy-on-scroll mechanism, or make it a client option
(copy-on-scroll improves drawing time by 2x to 10x).

2.  Draw all tiles on the mapview (removing the
each-tile-just-drawn-once limitation).

3.  Declare this situation buggy and give up.

I prefer #2 or #3.  Note that even if we do #1 this situation will still
be buggy, just not as much.

jason