Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8998) Small map meets large screen, they have problems

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#8998) Small map meets large screen, they have problems together.
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:40:43 -0700

Forwarding this from the forum:
http://www.freeciv.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102

"First of all, the screenshots.
http://67.166.116.45/kyzentun/small_map_problem.png
http://67.166.116.45/kyzentun/small_map_problem2.png
Now, the way I got it.
My resolution is 1600x1200. With the trident tileset, this equates to
54x39 tiles. As you can see from the screenshots, this causes frequent
problems with the smallest map size.
This is a standard topology 7, gen 0, landmass 85, map.
Freeciv version: CVS Jun 12 snapshot.
Clitent: gtk2.

While the problem is obvious, the solution is less so.
Perhaps the drawing algorithm should be modified to spiral out from the
center and stop at the edge of the viewing area, not the edge of the
map. But this would mean drawing some things in more than one place,
which could confuse players.
I found that turning View->Terrain (great set of features in that menu,
btw) off then back on makes the invisible squares visible, so maybe
something similar to what is done there should be done when the map is
recentered.

I don't normally play at this map size, I just decided to try it out to
see if there were problems."