Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8906) save shuffled_players

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8906) save shuffled_players
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 10:10:12 -0700

Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Jason Short wrote:

>>This patch saves and loads shuffled_players.  The players are not
>>reshuffled on load.  See PR#436.  This should also allow a server option
>>to prevent reshuffling each turn (useful in conjunction with alternating
>>movement).
>>
>>Nonetheless a save+load of an autogame still gives different results.
>

> Much AI data is lost on save/load I am afraid.

Actually it looks like the problem is with the random seed.  I'm not
sure if the game is entirely reseeded or if there's just a different
number of (probably AI) rand() calls when you load than there were
originally.  I imagine it will be difficult or impossible to get things
to be identical.

> Anyway, your patch is a step in right direction.  Is set_shuffled_players
> used more than once? I think you should kill it.  Set the players as you
> load them.

This is possible but it means the shuffled players variables must be
made global (currently they are static).  I preferred to just add a new
function to the interface.  But I can do it the other way if you like.
Is it worth it?

jason