Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8802) ser isn't created from ser.in

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8802) ser isn't created from ser.in
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 03:55:46 -0700

On Sat, May 22, 2004 at 03:13:16AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> >>We used pwd in the scripts before but decided @abs_top_srcdir@ was
> >>"better"
> >
> > Any detail here?
>
> See PR#8677.  Using these values directly is clearly less tricksy.

There are two issues here:
 - cd srcdir instead of setting FREECIV_PATH
 - how to get the srcdir

The second isn't tricky. And looking at your first patch you also come
to the same solution.

> >>(certainly it is simpler).  If possible I'd rather keep the
> >>hack inside configure.in, but...
> >
> >>If we do use pwd, we should use it for the srcdir as well.
> >
> > srcdir is relative to builddir because builddir is ".". If we use the
> > absolute builddir for the srcdir we don't need the second pwd.

> You'll get an absolute path this way but it may not be a minimal one.

This doesn't matter.

> Note there are other problems with the civ and ser scripts.  Since
> civclient is run with a working directory as the srcdir, the gtk2
> conndlg won't work since neither ./ser nor ./server/civserver is
> present.  This of course relates to the conndlg problems in general.
>
> Previously we ran the client (and server) with a working directory as
> the builddir.  However then the data directories ($srcdir/data) weren't
> accessable through the default path.  This is solvable by setting
> $FREECIV_PATH; however this can't easily include the entire default path
> (which includes $HOME/.freeciv and which may be platform-dependent).

This isn't related to the second problem above.

Solution: you find the server for a running client at
argv[0]/../server/civserver.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying