Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8802) ser isn't created from ser.in

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8802) ser isn't created from ser.in
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 03:13:16 -0700

Raimar Falke wrote:

>>We used pwd in the scripts before but decided @abs_top_srcdir@ was
>>"better"
>
> Any detail here?

See PR#8677.  Using these values directly is clearly less tricksy.

>>(certainly it is simpler).  If possible I'd rather keep the
>>hack inside configure.in, but...
>
>>If we do use pwd, we should use it for the srcdir as well.
>
> srcdir is relative to builddir because builddir is ".". If we use the
> absolute builddir for the srcdir we don't need the second pwd.

You'll get an absolute path this way but it may not be a minimal one.

Note there are other problems with the civ and ser scripts.  Since
civclient is run with a working directory as the srcdir, the gtk2
conndlg won't work since neither ./ser nor ./server/civserver is
present.  This of course relates to the conndlg problems in general.

Previously we ran the client (and server) with a working directory as
the builddir.  However then the data directories ($srcdir/data) weren't
accessable through the default path.  This is solvable by setting
$FREECIV_PATH; however this can't easily include the entire default path
(which includes $HOME/.freeciv and which may be platform-dependent).

So in summary the whole problem is tricky.

jason