Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomacy problems and ideas (PR#8394)

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Diplomacy problems and ideas (PR#8394)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 06:12:05 -0700

Per Inge Mathisen wrote:

> Ok, so this is quite a mouthful. Comments, please. If we agree this is the
> way to go, I will code it for the AI and the server, but I will definitely
> need help on the client side.

I like it, for the most part.

I do not think a "diplomacy phase" is helpful or necessary.  This
discussion is along the same lines as the alternating-movement
discussion.  Note that with alternating movement there is plenty of time
for diplomacy in your off-turn (if there are 6 players with 10 seconds
per player...).  In single-player mode and off-turn is quite illogical
(but then such games don't have timeouts).  You could have a period when
it was nobody's "turn": this might even make things more fair since
everyone could set up gotos during this time.

Will a diplomacy phase solve the problem that some ultimatums must be
decided immediately?  When love-love-hate breaks out, typically the
love-love player must pick one of his allies to break alliance with.
But this must be done immediately: certainly before any of the love-hate
players gets a chance to move their units (this movement gives
inconsistencies since a tile may be both allied and enemy).

The idea of an ultimatum is good, but the ultimatums you're talking
about don't have to be time-based.

My question is, what should the client interface for an ultimatum be?
Does the user press a different button to start the diplomacy?  Or if
the other player rejects a "reasonable" request (declare war, remove
troops from borders) does has_reason_to_cancel get set?

jason