Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (s

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (seteables if desired)
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 23:27:22 -0700

Le mer 05/05/2004 à 06:37, Jason Short a écrit :

> I like the use of map.size but not map.ratio.  In particular:
>
> - map.ratio is not in a form that will be useful to users.
yes
> - Setting of the xsize and ysize from the size and ratio is overcomplicated.
yes! but is done!

> Could we have a "size" server parameter and leave out "xsize", "ysize",
> and "ratio" altogether?  This may be a question for the design
> board...how often do you choose an axis ratio different from the "ideal"
> ratio?

Size is the only real usable parameter xsize/ysize and ratio are no
good, But i need a value to internaly catch the auto ratio.
ratio is only to be used for spetialists to test exotics ratios. user
need to be learned to keep it at the 100 (auto) value mare clear. but
some scenario developer can ask to be able to tune map ratio with out
touch the code C!
in the gkt2 code size can be placed in the first page, near number of
user! and ratio in geologie page. (i ll change it)

> Another alternative is to leave out the "ratio" parameter and have size,
> xsize, and ysize.  Now the user has more control but things are a little
> more complicated (but not as bad as your "ratio" parameter).  If xsize
> and ysize are changed last they are used to determine the size.  If size
> is changed last it determines the size, and xsize/ysize determine the
> ratio only.
no that is no good, user never can set xsize/ysize rigth way! i prefer
leave out the "ratio", xsize and ysize if you think ratio is absolutly
need to disapear of user view

--