Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (s

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8632) Easy way to set map size with auto ratios (seteables if desired)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 21:37:23 -0700

I like the use of map.size but not map.ratio.  In particular:

- map.ratio is not in a form that will be useful to users.
- Setting of the xsize and ysize from the size and ratio is overcomplicated.

Could we have a "size" server parameter and leave out "xsize", "ysize",
and "ratio" altogether?  This may be a question for the design
board...how often do you choose an axis ratio different from the "ideal"
ratio?

Another alternative is to leave out the "ratio" parameter and have size,
xsize, and ysize.  Now the user has more control but things are a little
more complicated (but not as bad as your "ratio" parameter).  If xsize
and ysize are changed last they are used to determine the size.  If size
is changed last it determines the size, and xsize/ysize determine the
ratio only.

jason