Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7446) center_on_something fails

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7446) center_on_something fails
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 23:56:43 -0700

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 04:29:28PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> > init_mapcanvas_and_overview should stay. Please research what is the
> > real cause of this problem. No band-aids.
>
> Um, init_mapcanvas_and_overview is the cause of the problem.
>
> Before your patch that created init_mapcanvas_and_overview, the gtk2
> client had code like:
>
>    gtk_widget_show(toplevel);
>    overview.store = NULL;
>
> now it is
>
>    gtk_widget_show(toplevel);
>    init_mapcanvas_and_overview();
>
> in other words, the mapview was never "initted" before.  Now, however,
> it is configured when the toplevel window is shown (line 1) and later
> "initted" (e.g. overwritten) in line 2.

So it should work if we switch the lines?

> What it comes down to is that the canvas needs to be configured before
> it is used.  This configuring comes when the GUI calls
> map_canvas_resized.  There is no need to do a pre-configuring for these
> values.  The ones we're setting to zero are already zero (except for the
> bug), and the mapcanvas that gets a dummy value shouldn't ever have this
> value used (that would also be a bug).

These two
  mapview_canvas.store = canvas_create(1, 1);
  mapview_canvas.single_tile
    = canvas_create(UNIT_TILE_WIDTH, UNIT_TILE_HEIGHT);
aren't set to zero. Are these the bugs you speak about?

At least the single_tile assignment isn't IMHO.

While I agree that the assignment of zeros is not needed it is better
to make this explicit IMHO.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  This customer comes into the computer store. "I'm looking for a mystery