Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7095) No Capital, and can't build one..

To: admerik@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7095) No Capital, and can't build one..
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:05:50 -0800

> [emj - Sun Mar 07 17:53:04 2004]:
>
> I think this is something that has to be implemented for new players
> because it is something that really can make ppl say "Doh! what a boring
> game!", and since there is no warning anywhere I can not learn what I
> did wrong. The suggested sollutions are:

I agree.

> 1. Drop Masonry as a prerequisite for rebuilding the palace

This is probably good as a substitute to freepalace (which is an awful
option).  But I don't think it fully solves the problem since not all
rulesets will embrace it.

> 2. Incorporate somekind of tutorial mode (with dialogs recommending
> things, e.g. when you sell something "Selling this building will cause
> severe corrtion")

No tutorial mode is needed for this.  When you see the sell dialog "Sell
palace for 100 gold?" it just has an extra message "Selling your palace
is usually a very bad idea."

> 3. Prohibit users from selling the palace if they can't build it.

This would work, but I think the design board was against it.

> 4. Rebuild palace if it can not be rebuilt by the user

This works but is inferior.  And if you rebuild the palace after it's
sold then the player can rack up gold.

> 5. Issue a warning each Turn saying that "No research possible, please
> build a Capital"

Unfortunately it's not always possible to build a capital.

> I think 2., 3. and 5. should be used together, that will make people
> learn something. Since a tutorial mode should be there at some point,
> there really is no harm in putting in a if(tutorial) on some user
actions.

Yes.  I'm not sure if #3 is needed if #2 is done, though.

jason