Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7584) generalizing terrain in mapgen

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7584) generalizing terrain in mapgen
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:04:38 -0800

Global warming pushed terrain away from the wetness norm, so wet gets
wetter and dry gets drier.

But in general you want a lookup table that goes in the rulesets that
has the same sort of terrain target states as any of the conversions.
There might be other effects such as nuclear winter or plague (kills
vegetation and/or specials) that one might also add some day.

Doing this sort of thing by hard-coded algorithm is too restrictive
and may be too expensive compared to a cached lookup. If you build a
cache, then might as well let the rulesets fill it in for complete
flexibility.

Cheers,
RossW
=====