Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7584) generalizing terrain in mapgen

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7584) generalizing terrain in mapgen
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 08:15:10 -0800

In all cases but one (plains) slope and altitude are the same, and it
could be argued this is a mistake.

I would argue for slope ("roughness"?) as the only independent one
here. In general altitude is a combination of decreased wetness and
temperature. This then maps onto AlphaCentauri terrain reasonably well
and will induce map generators to come up with techniques to place
mountains and other rough terrain at points other than as domes in
the centre of continents.

Cheers,
RossW
=====