Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [gui-fs] And another backend

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [gui-fs] And another backend
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:22:35 +0100

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:25:02PM +0100, Raimar Falke wrote:

> [ Since RT doesn't work yet I use freeciv-dev. ]
>
> I haven't got the time in the last weeks to work on the FS
> client. However I made some progress on the optimization problem.
>
> The solution is to do all the rendering at the client side. Only if
> the screen needs updates the client sends it version to the
> server. For this I created a independent image format and coded the
> required drawing primitives. All the rendering is done in 24bit and
> 900 lines. The rendering code looks quite similar to
> gui-sdl/graphics.c.
>
> Backends which support only 8bit or paletted mode likely can't use
> it. However backends for with 16bit or 24bit output can use it. So the
> size of implementation of the real backend is decreased quite a
> lot. It only needs to do event handling and converting the 24bit image
> to the output screen format. The x11-ximage implementation is 290
> lines.
>
> The speed is now acceptable but it good be larger.

I have implemented a backend for the SDL. It currently support only 16
bit depth in 565 mode but other modes are easy to add. Because of the
weird event logic the event loop has to do polling while doing 10ms
waits. I think that this is the reason why this backend feels more
sludgy then the x11 backend.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I heard if you play the NT-4.0-CD backwards, you get a satanic message."