Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] [gui-fs] New backend

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] [gui-fs] New backend
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:25:02 +0100

[ Since RT doesn't work yet I use freeciv-dev. ]

I haven't got the time in the last weeks to work on the FS
client. However I made some progress on the optimization problem.

The solution is to do all the rendering at the client side. Only if
the screen needs updates the client sends it version to the
server. For this I created a independent image format and coded the
required drawing primitives. All the rendering is done in 24bit and
900 lines. The rendering code looks quite similar to
gui-sdl/graphics.c.

Backends which support only 8bit or paletted mode likely can't use
it. However backends for with 16bit or 24bit output can use it. So the
size of implementation of the real backend is decreased quite a
lot. It only needs to do event handling and converting the 24bit image
to the output screen format. The x11-ximage implementation is 290
lines.

The speed is now acceptable but it good be larger.

So I hope I can now continue with some more user visible
changes. *wink at Morgan*

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  (On the statement print "42 monkeys"+"1 snake"): BTW, both perl and Python