[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7293) Performance of Freeciv

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7293) Performance of Freeciv
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 02:12:59 -0800

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:26:05AM -0800, Raimar Falke wrote:

> I would like to eliminate a lot of this resource wastage by defining a
> minimum hardware requirement and a performance guarantee for this.

> Stronly related to this are the questions:
>  - what are currently the slowest systems where freeciv is used and
>  - are the speed on these systems acceptable and
>  - if not where is freeciv slow?

The bottleneck is the client. Actually I don't have acceptable response
times for certain actions in GTK 1, on a 200 MHz K6 with fast PCI gfx.
The bottleneck is the CPU.

So I think it's a good guess to use a P3-500 at minimum. But even then
certains (CMA related) actions may be slow (take several seconds). See my
related bug reports. These slownesses have been introduced in CVS, and are
not present in 1.14.1. For 1.14.1 the hardware specified above is
sufficient.

> Note that I don't want to eliminate optimization or outlaw the effort
> to make freeciv faster. I want to know where the current code stands.

Christian