[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7293) Performance of Freeciv

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7293) Performance of Freeciv
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:26:05 -0800

While speed and so optimization is a worthwhile goal the discussion
about it takes up a lot of resources and only in a few cases the
people come to a solution everybody agrees and which results in
noticeable speed gain (IIRC humans only feel a speed gain above 20%).

I would like to eliminate a lot of this resource wastage by defining a
minimum hardware requirement and a performance guarantee for this.

So one outcome of this _could_ be that the minimal requirements are
something like:
 - CPU capable of 20 MIPS (equals 30 MHz 68030, 40 MHz Pentium)
 - 8 MB RAM
 - 640x480
 - 100 MB harddisk
For this we guarantee that the average time per turn for an 10 AI
autogame is under 20s.

Here is missing a statement about the client performance but this is
hard to specify and we can't do much if the graphical sub-system of
the OS or the hardware is too slow.

Stronly related to this are the questions:
 - what are currently the slowest systems where freeciv is used and
 - are the speed on these systems acceptable and
 - if not where is freeciv slow?

Note that I don't want to eliminate optimization or outlaw the effort
to make freeciv faster. I want to know where the current code stands.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Just because you put a flag on the moon doesn't make it yours, it just