[Freeciv-Dev] Re: separate support libraries for VS .NET 2003 developers

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: separate support libraries for VS .NET 2003 developers
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:09:37 -0600

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 01:26:33PM +0000, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> > Look, you and I both know it's a chicken-and-egg problem. There's never
> > going to be any VS .NET 2003 developers unless someone does the hard
> > work of making VS .NET 2003 development possible.
>
> Who wants to maintain a separate fork of a bunch of libraries just because
> there might be someone in the future who wants to develop with a piece of
> non-free software that they don't even have personally? Not me, certainly.
>
> So if this is a chicken and egg conflict, I am siding with the chicken.
> More eggs doesn't always mean more chickens - it usually just means more
> omelette.
>
> It would be interesting to know, though, what changes you have done to
> these libraries to justify doing such a fork, as opposed to giving a list
> of libraries and version numbers that are known to work?

this is silly... how much disk and an extra directory on the ftp server are
we talking about here? Regardless if there is someone to immediately step
up and maintain VS .NET code, (and it looks like there isn't anyone at the
moment), we should still get Brandon's work up on the server. It would make
it a whole hell of a lot easier for the next person wanting to do the same
thing to get it working.

-mike