[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6624) Disband city cleanup

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6624) Disband city cleanup
From: "Morgan Jones" <morgan.jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 16:49:45 -0800

On 11/01/2004, you wrote:
> Why can we not add a button "Raise this slum"? I remember when I
> just stated playing Civ, no direct method of raising a city
> frustrated me to no end.
>
> But I think raising a city of size > 1 should be impossible or get
> some penalty (disorder, reputation, revolution). Because if you
> conquer and then raise, well this is ethnic cleansing.
>
> G.

Are you talking about being able to instantly disband cities with
Size > 1?  If so, then I really dislike this idea.

I can understand that in a multiplayer game where you're just trying
to wipe out the other players that managing all these conquered cities
can be a real PITA.

But I'm one of these (rare?) players that prefers the peaceful/build
spaceship route, though I do like to wipe out a few other civs if they
prove too troublesome.

I think the current system in which cities can only be disbanded by starving
or resettling its population has an important amount of realism which
to me is an important part of gameplay.

Having to manage captured cities is essential to restricting all out
warfare.  Personally I'd like to see some sort of culture model like
in Civ3 so that captured cities are even more troublesome, i.e. more
realistic.  So that you have to devote units to maintaining martial
law in these places so that your whole empire doesn't collapse.

So please don't introduce this feature, or if you do make it a
non-default ruleset/server option.

Or if you do introduce a 'Raze City/Ethnic Cleansing' ('Disband City'
makes nosense, population just doesn't disappear) option then it
should induce MASSIVE reputation loss, and huge unhappiness in your
other cities, particularly those nearby or culturally linked to the
razed city.

     -Morgan