[Freeciv-Dev] Re: hobby as process? (was Re: Migration)

To: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv-Dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: hobby as process? (was Re: Migration)
From: Raimar Falke <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:19:23 +0100

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 04:51:15PM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> > > My tool is my wallet.  I bought Civ II:
> > > Test Of Time, which has better graphics than your Civ II, for $20 at
> > > full retail 4 years ago.  I think your tools are worth $20.
> >
> > Education. Knowledge. It may turn out that this knowledge will never
> > yield a profit.
>
> Maybe there's an age difference here.  I'm old enough to have gobs of
> computer knowledge.  I don't want more knowledge and potential.  I want
> empowerment to get what I want done.

Get a high position or money. You choose.

> > But for a regular income you have your regular job.
>
> Bizzare to me to concede ownership of one's time and inclinations to
> someone else.  But I suppose you said you liked your database job.

I didn't say I have a database job. I said "But I may be very good at
as database coder". Please remove the "at".

> > > Are you young enough to still give a shit about this?
> >
> > The faster you spot them the faster you are done.
>
> You could spend your whole life "practicing" at this, or you could cut
> to the chase and avoid projects / job descriptions / implementation
> ideas / groups of people that cause you to need to spend your time this
> way.

I choose what I do. I choose my job.

> > > Choose something bold for a change.  What's the boldest
> > > thing you could
> > > do with Freeciv?  Why be timid when there's no money on the
> > > line at all?
> >
> > What is the point if Freeciv is rewritten in .NET with OpenGL and with
> > a FPS perspective and none of the old users like the new version?
>
> For you that don't like it, nothing.  It of course could have tremendous
> value to other people.

"It ... _could_". Compare this with "The current version _has_ value
to its current users."

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  reality.sys corrupt. Reboot Universe? (y,n,q)