[Freeciv-Dev] Re: the lack of respect for cloners

To: "Freeciv-Dev" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: the lack of respect for cloners
From: "Brandon J. Van Every" <vanevery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 01:55:00 -0800

Per I. Mathisen

> Game rules are ideas, and are as such not protected by copyright.

Concrete expressions of game rules, such as a Civ II tech tree, are most
certainly protected by copyright.  And let's not forget the in practice
issues.  If Hasbro (are they still the copyright holder?) wanted to
stomp you, they would and could.  They'd do it with a combo of damning
references on your website about your intents, and having a larger war
chest than anything you can afford, and having better lawyers than you
can field.  Whether your tech trees and other Civ II ripoffs "are or
aren't protectable" rises and falls with the sophistication and
endurance of your legal team.  The problem with armchair lawyering is,
you have to actually pay lawyers and risk going to trial to find out
what can really happen.

Anyways, I've made the offer in the past, and I'll make it again.  If
you're very sure of your case, and want to demonstrate the safety of
your position, I'd be happy to notify the copyright holder about your
project.  Just say the word.

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.