Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: worker unit

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: worker unit
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:57:32 -0700

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, John Wheeler wrote:
> > One possible thing to do is that if you have both
> > the Pyramids and a granary, food cost to grow a
> > city is halved
>
> That's insane in a largepox game. No way.

It seems reasonable to me, BECAUSE after getting to
size 3 with a republic, I do the vast majority of my
growth with WTLPD.

Actually, thinking about it, this could make granaries
even less useful, because there were be less of a
build up to prevent starvation.

> > That's exactly why I like it, it slows the game
> > back to the pace that I was accustomed to in
> > Civ2.(No more BC ironclads!)
>
> 'set researchcost 100'

Oh, good point.  I haven't tried that since AI
diplomacy was implemented.

> I mean slow as in 'nothing to do for so many turns'.
> In Civ3 I clicked
> 'end turn' again and again and again and again while
> waiting for my cities
> to grow large enough for settlers. Boring.

During that time I'm doing my inital exploring.
(After that frequently I'm just pressing end turn
anyway, even with settlers costing 1 pop.) And again,
once I get Republic, I simply WLTPD up to 5 before
building a settler (so when it goes back down to 3, I
can just WLTPD again.)  Very little waiting involved.

> > No, I mean no food or shield upkeep. BUT, that's
> only
> > if settlers can't do anything but build cities and
> > cost 2 population. The effect is to allow widely
> > scattered cities, since settlers aren't costing
> > anything while they're moving.
>
> I am not sure how much of a penalty the
> upkeep-while-moving really is,
> though. I have never given that a thought.

I save games as soon as I start them, and then after
freefalling, if the map was interesting I'll trying
reloading using different strategies.  Except with the
settler/worker mods I've suggested, trying to put my
initial cities in good largepox positions ALWAYS
results in my getting creamed.  For a smallpox
strategy, upkeep-while-moving is negligible, but if
you're moving 15 squares, that can take up enough food
to build another settler.

> (Also no upkeep settlers would make pretty good city
> defenders. I think
> they are the best until Pikemen. That would be odd.)

Oh, that's wickedly clever.  I'll have to remember
that. ;-)  Still, if they cost 2 pop and 40 shields,
that can be a pretty major investment, even with no
upkeep.  Perhaps this can be addressed by not allowing
settlers any fortification or city defense bonuses.

--

++JohnWheeler