Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: worker unit

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: worker unit
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 04:52:22 -0700

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> of requiring Pottery to
> > >
> > > Pyramids don't allow to build workers. I think
> they should.
>
> Won't that make Pyramids much too powerful? At least
> for largepox games.
> (We could perhaps reduce the build cost for
> granaries to compensate.)

One possible thing to do is that if you have both the
Pyramids and a granary, food cost to grow a city is
halved (kind of like how Michealangelo's Chapel in
certain rulesets only enhances Cathedrals instead of
putting them in every city.)

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003, John Wheeler wrote:
> > I really like the variant where:
> > - Settlers can only build and add to cities
>
> I am undecided on this issue. While I generally
> favour clean separations
> into roles, allowing Settlers to perform simple
> tasks like roads etc is
> very convenient.
>
> > - Settlers cost 2 population
>
> I do not like this, personally. It makes the game
> too slow for me.

That's exactly why I like it, it slows the game back
to the pace that I was accustomed to in Civ2.  (No
more BC ironclads!)

> Let's discuss this as part of the smallpox
> discussions later (after gen eff).

That'd be okay, although I'm not entirely sure I see
the point of putting it off.  This solution certainly
doesn't require gen eff.

> Actually, we probably should delay final decision on
> the worker unit until that time, as well. (But we
> should commit the worker graphics now.)

Excellent idea -- I haven't got the hang of adding
graphics to units.png et al.

> > - Settlers have 0 upkeep
> > - Workers have upkeep as Settlers used to
>
> You mean food upkeep here, I hope. Both should have
> normal shield upkeep.

No, I mean no food or shield upkeep.  BUT, that's only
if settlers can't do anything but build cities and
cost 2 population.  The effect is to allow widely
scattered cities, since settlers aren't costing
anything while they're moving.

> As to switching food upkeep between the two, this
> defeats most of the
> reason why you should build workers instead of
> settlers: Workers do not
> drain your (possibly largepox) cities of food
> income, allowing them to
> grow.

Again, this depends on the pace of the game you
prefer. I found with no food upkeep, workers cause the
game to go even faster still.

--

++JohnWheeler