Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: worker unit

Cc: jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5437) wishlist: worker unit
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 06:17:27 -0700

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, John Wheeler wrote:
> One possible thing to do is that if you have both the
> Pyramids and a granary, food cost to grow a city is
> halved

That's insane in a largepox game. No way.

> > >- Settlers cost 2 population
> >
> > I do not like this, personally. It makes the game
> > too slow for me.
>
> That's exactly why I like it, it slows the game back
> to the pace that I was accustomed to in Civ2.(No
> more BC ironclads!)

'set researchcost 100'

I mean slow as in 'nothing to do for so many turns'. In Civ3 I clicked
'end turn' again and again and again and again while waiting for my cities
to grow large enough for settlers. Boring.

> No, I mean no food or shield upkeep. BUT, that's only
> if settlers can't do anything but build cities and
> cost 2 population. The effect is to allow widely
> scattered cities, since settlers aren't costing
> anything while they're moving.

Oh. That's clever.

I am not sure how much of a penalty the upkeep-while-moving really is,
though. I have never given that a thought.

(Also no upkeep settlers would make pretty good city defenders. I think
they are the best until Pikemen. That would be odd.)

> Again, this depends on the pace of the game you
> prefer. I found with no food upkeep, workers cause the
> game to go even faster still.

The speed at which you improve the terrain in the world should certainly
be limited, so that all terrain isn't cultivated by 1 AD. When I play with
workers, the speed of terrain improvement is certain up compared to
similar games without them, but not by what I would judge as an
unacceptable amount.

  - Per